MSI Desktop 40 Drives Standalone Forensic Imaging Solution
The MSI Desktop 40 Drives Standalone Forensic Imaging Solution is a standalone forensic imaging with the ability to perform multiple Forensic tasks, allowing the Forensic investigator to capture data in the Lab from multiple source drives to multiple target drives simultaneously. It also enables the user to perform a full Forensic analysis using encase, Nuix Windows 10 application, or capture data from multiple cellphones and run cellphone analyses, or use any third-party Windows application. The unit is industrial and durably built, using a desktop-style, with easy to use touchscreen icons. The solution consist of the main unit with 8 SAS/SATA ports in open tray plus 10 USB3.1 ports, In addition it includes 2 cable-less Expansion Box each with 16 ports of SAS/SATA. The MSI’s main application (the unit’s software) supports many imaging methods like Mirror Image, Encase E01/Ex01, and Linux-DD.
Forensic Lab Unit (Linux) Features
- Captures data from digital storages devices with many types of form factors and interfaces(2.5”, 3.5”, ZIF, MSATA, MicroSATA, M.2 SATA Ultra SATA, Slim SATA)
- USB3.1 ports can be converted to SATA ports with the use of USB3.0 to SATA adapters (with the use of 4 ports USB KIT)
- Previews data on the “Suspect” drive in secure environment
- Captures and copy across many ports and interfaces
- Simultaneously calculates HASH values with all the 3 MD5/SHA1/SHA2 at the same run
- Automatic support for DCO/HPA special areas
- Supports Bad Sector Handling (with 3 types of reporting)
- Encryption/Decryption with AES256 on-the-fly
- Supports capture mode of: 100% bit by bit mirror copy, Linux-DD files, E01, EX01 with full compression, Mix mode where the target drives can be mix of DD/E01, Selective Imaging of Files and Folders, Partition imaging, Keyword Search before the capture or while the capture
- Supports Scripting to automate some operations
- Supports SAS/SATA/e-SATA/USB/IDE/mSATA/MicroSATA/M.2 SATA
Here are some of the tasks the unit can be used for:
- Multiple Parallel Forensic Capture: Mirror (bit by bit), Linux-DD, E01/Ex01 (with full compression) formats, Mixed-Format DD/E01, copy the whole drive or only parts
- Run a Selective Imaging (Targeted Imaging) of files, folders, and partitions with file extensions filters (for example, run 8 independent sessions of E01 capture with 16 native SAS/SATA ports and 16 E01 compression engines simultaneously).
- Perform Forensic Imaging from many Suspect drives to one large Evidence drive; in append mode (can perform forensic imaging from 15 Suspect drives to one large Evidence drive).
- Upload many Forensic images to a network (SMB, CIFS, NFS).
- Erase data from Evidence drive - using DoD (ECE, E), Security Erase, Enhanced Security, or Sanitize erase protocols.
- View the data directly on the Ubuntu Desktop screen.
- Encrypt the data while capturing (using the AES256 engine).
- HASH the data while capturing – run all the three, SHA-1, SHA-2, and MD5 HASH engines, at the same time.
- Run a quick Keyword Search on the Suspect drive prior to capture.
- Run Multiple Cellphone/Tablets data Extraction and Analysis using a third-party application on the Windows 10 side.
- Run Forensic Triage application using a third-party application on the Windows 10 side, prepare Forensic Triage keys, and view the captured targeted data.
- Run a full Forensic Analysis application like Encase/Nuix/FTK.
- Run Virtual Drive Emulator prior to the data being captured on the Linux side (this option is enabled on this unit).
- Encryption and Decryption on the fly of drives that contain sensitive information.
- Easily reconfigure the unit’s ports, where each of the target port can be configured as source or target for running 8:8 sessions, or to run an upload of 16 storages to a network.
- Convert the unit’s 10 USB3.1 ports to SATA ports and run more parallel sessions (with the use of some USB3.0 to SATA adapters).
- New feature - Use the MSI unit as a “Write Blocker” device: This new feature enables the MSI unit to function as a secure bridge between workstations on a network to Suspect drives attached to the MSI unit by using the iSCSI protocol over a network connection.
A forensic investigator using a workstation or laptop in one location can access a Suspect drive in different locations in the Write block mode. The unit is not expandable.
The MSI unit will be connected to the same network and the Suspect drives will be attached to the MSI unit in read-only mode. The MSI unit will act as a “write blocker” for any of the unit’s attached storages, such as: SAS, SATA, USB, 1394, FC, SCSI, and NVMe.
The unit is designed to help expedite the forensic imaging process, especially in facilities where there is a large backlog in imaging drives, by performing many parallel forensic imaging in a true optimized multiple session's application. The advantage of this unit is that it supports imaging from mix media of SAS/SATA/USB.
|Main Hardware Features:|
|CPU:||i9 Latest Generation Quad Core Mobile CPU|
|Display:||10”, LED back-light, touchscreen, color LCD display.|
|8 Channel HDD Open Tray:||Easy to insert and plug tray that accommodates any size and shape of SAS/SATA drives or storage devices; contains power status LED indicators.|
|Hardware:||Very high-quality, high performing components; some with military specifications|
|Dual Boot (included):||
|Security:||Linux OS (Linux is less targeted by malware).|
|Application Updates:||The application can easily be updated via USB thumb drive and displays a special update application screen.|
|Hardware Upgrade:||The unit can be upgraded at the time of purchasing for additional cost to a larger internal SSD.|
|RAM:||32GB DDR4 internal memory|
|Storage controller:||LSI Controller|
|Internal Storage:||250GB SSD|
|Source Ports:||One SAS/SATA port, and one USB3.0/USB3.1 ports are set as source ports (the user cannot change the role of these ports).|
|Supports Storage Protocols and Interfaces:||SATA, e-SATA enclosures, IDE, USB2.0, USB3.0/3.1, MMC, and M.2 (SATA)|
|Supports Form Factors:||3.5", 2.5", ZIF, 1.8", Micro-SATA, Mini-SATA, Slim SATA, Ultra Slim SATA, M.2 NGFF, and CF-30.|
|Target Ports:||39 SAS/SATA ports, one e-SATA port, and 9 USB3.0/USB3.1 ports.|
|HPA/DCO Automatic Supports:||The application has the ability to automatically open HPA and DCO areas and re-size the drive to its full native capacity in order to erase any “hidden data” (HPA/DCO are special areas on the drive that support this feature).|
|Bad Sectors Handling:||The user can select to skip bad sectors/blocks or abort the operation when it encounters bad sectors/blocks on the source drive.|
|48bit LBA Addressing:||Supports drives with sizes up to 256TB.|
|GUI:||The application is built with large, very simple, and easy-to-navigate icons. In a few clicks, the user can set the operation, and it will quickly start up and run.|
|Application Main Operation:|
Forensic Imaging Mode:
- 40 SAS/SATA ports - Imaging 20 to 20 at the same time
- Dual boot for Linux& Windows 10
- Full Forensic Suite – Bit by bit Imaging, Encase & DD Imaging, 3 Hashing, Diagnostics